Saturday, March 6, 2010

A lag in productivity

I'm experiencing a personal energy crisis. Without the structure of going to work 9-5 5 days a week I'm finding it easier to be more catlike than productive.  I knew this would happen just not so soon.  Oh I have my weekly schedule with carefully placed daily items of to-do importance.  Evidence below.


However I find that by mid-morning my cats seem to have the right idea - napping in the noonday sun.  Yes, even the beautiful unseasonable weather we're enjoying seemingly plots against me as it streams in the windows onto my chair and couch.  A couch ready made with snuggie and lap cat.  I mean cats really have the life don't they?  All they have to do all day is eat, sleep and poop - with an occasional chomp on some mind altering catnip!  I'm a wee bit jealous truth be told.  Mind you, not so jealous that if my fairy goddess-mother arrived down my chimney and offered me three wishes I'd choose to be a cat.  It would be more like financial windfall wishes....and a crunchless flat belly.....and endless chocolate.....!  There, three wishes already used up and none having to do with fur, four paws or catnip.  Don't worry - haven't gone 'round the bend' thinking fairy goddes-mothers will soon be showing up.  No no, my fairy goddess-mother arrives like everyone else's - from the lottery store down the way.

So back on topic - productivity.  Yes, must find a way to stay on task.  After all, these are tasks that I actually want to do!  Tasks I never had time to do before when I was working the cubicle life.  How does everyone else do it?  I mean once I get on the computer there are so many blogs I want to read and photos I want to look at and news to ponder.   Well once again friends come to the rescue.  Today, Red and I went for an extra long walk to Golden Gardens beach with Sasha the retriever who she is pet sitting over the weekend. 

Not only was it a great walk to a beautiful beach but I took so many photographs I had extra to choose from for my 'photo of the day'.  And so with typical Julie style, I'm learning something new yet again - how to 'be on task' when I'm the one being the taskmaster!  Wish me luck.

Sasha who hasn't yet learned the fine art of walking. 
Photo by J. Lopez

2 comments:

  1. i'm the same way and really kicking myself right now for spending all day making flickr mosaics and puttering around, doing laundry, when i should be packing up our books or finishing some of those sewing projects i want to finish instead of packing them away. it's hard to use your time wisely. i actually get way more done when i'm busy. that said, i don't think you should be too hard on yourself. a mid-morning nap can be a good thing and you should give yourself that indulgence as well, you definitely did get to do that in the cubicle, (or did you?). there was a legendary manager woman in microsoft who would hide out in a meeting room knitting when she wanted to get away from it all. everyone knew about it, but no one did anything about it. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worked at home for abut 16 years now...as a graphic artist I always have a deadline, that makes it easier to stay on track... but since I have "fallen down the rabbit hole" into the Land of Blog I am struggling a bit with staying on track...it is best for me if I get the "must do" things done in the morning, then in the afternoon I have more flexibility and play time!

    ReplyDelete