Sunday, March 21, 2010

Honey, where's the dog.....

                                           Group Photo, Crown Point, Oregon - J. Lopez

At first glance this group portrait of my friends last weekend on our Columbia River Gorge outing seems quite commonplace, innocuous, and really of no importance (dull even) to anyone other than ourselves.  However if you thought that you would be wrong!  Every time I look at this I experience a hearty belly laugh. 

That darling little white terrier front and center - the one that looks as if it belongs to us and has been in our lives for years... is in fact not ours.  We had no idea whose dog it was but it quickly latched its poor little self to us and the kids as we lavished it with attention right before this momentous photo was snapped.  It had been wandering around the parking lot the whole time we were there with a look on it's sweet wee face of  "Are you my people"?  It was obvious that someone had inexplicably left this dog behind.

Thankfully it had a dog tag with it's name - Jules; his home - West Seattle; and a phone number.  I should tell you that my nickname is in fact "Jules" and everyone in that group photo (except for 2) are actually from West Seattle.  Cuddling and petting and fawning all over Jules I declared self-righteously how we should just take him home with us as any pet owner who would leave such a darling dog should not own a darling dog!!  Mind you, I have 2 cats and live in a condo so this was a ridiculous emotion-fueled statement that I could not back up but kept thinking of ways it could work besides that fact.

With less emotion and much more smarts, V, called the number on Jules tag and left a message that this dog was at Crown Point and if it was their's they could call her.  Everyone (except me and the kids) wanted to move on to Multnomah Falls and so we all jumped in our cars to leave.  Driving away with the look on that little dogs' face was killing me - killing me.  Jules tilted head and perky furry ears was breaking my heart. I  wimpered to my friends as to how could we ourselves leave that little guy to fend for himself.  We sighed and drove on.

There is a happy ending to this story.  Not more than an hour later, V,  received a call from the owners.  They were in Portland (1/2 hour away) and hadn't noticed that Jules was not in the car with them.  (???)  They were on their way back to Crown Point at that very moment to pick him up.  And another call that afternoon from them when they were reunited with Jules and a big thank you to 'V' for calling them!  Since there was reunitedness and happiness in the end for Jules I won't expound on the assinine owners who didn't notice that there beloved dog was not in their car.....?.....  Nope - not going to comment.

And for your viewing pleasure - here is a lovely iphone doodle art from Keira Hamalian of our new favorite white terrier doggie that doesn't belong to us (but actually does in our hearts!!).

Have you ever left something behind somewhere?  Do tell!!





                                                                                                  
Jules by K. Hamalian



No comments:

Post a Comment