Sunday, January 24, 2010

It's nothing personal

This overused statement does not make sense to me.  It's close cousins "this is business" and "It's not you it's me".... just as perplexing.  In the context they are used it is absolutely personal for the very obvious and simple fact that I, or the intended recipient, have invested time, emotion, feelings, vulnerability, intelligence and experience into whatever is now being assessed by another.

Your work, for instance, is what you bring your employer 40 hours of every week.  Although you often hear that what you do (your work) does not define you, in a sense it does exactly that.  My ability to do my work and do it well contains a certain sense of pride.  So if my work is not up to snuff then my ability, my experience, the effort I bring to it IS personal.  How can it not be?

Granted, I am a Gemini and we tend to take most things personal so I could be off on this.  And admittedly I have used "It's not you it's me".  If used with someone you care about then you don't want to rip their heart up because the relationship is not working.  And for me, it was partially true.  Half of the issue was with me!

So, even though last Thursday I was told by my employer that "it's nothing personal" I will chalk it up to just one more thing I do not agree with them.

I'm interested to hear others' perception on this.  Have you heard "It's not personal" lately.  How did you feel about it.  Did it help to hear that with whatever news was attached to it?  Or not?

1 comment:

  1. i haven't heard "it's not personal" lately, but i wanted to say thanks for stopping by. and i love the name of your blog. being that i'm also a julie and all. :-)

    ReplyDelete