Sunday, January 31, 2010

Best Picture? Really? Best?

Last week I went to see Up in the Air.  I enjoyed it immensely.  I knew I would.  George Clooney.....sigh....handsome.....sigh.....!  But I liked the story as well.  Timely, didn't smack you in the face with obviousness, good acting and well, George Clooney.

Then, just to see if I could, I snuck into another movie as I was at one of those megaplexes with 14 theatres and I just couldn't help myself.  Two movies for the price of one!  So I went into the one movie I have declared to all my friends that i had no desire whatsoever to see.  Even if it won the Golden Globes for Best Picture.  Nope.  No desire.  So I did it.  I snuck in to see Avatar.  The theatre was so full that I had to sit in the 3rd row.  A sure overstimulation for the eyes and throbbing headache with a movie like that.  But I decided I'd leave if that began to happen or the movie was boring me to death.

Well I didn't leave except to run to the recycle bin for used plastic 3D glasses so I could fully appreciate the 3D effects of the movie.  But I should have.  Left that is.  While amazing and wondrous special effects are to be noted, the plot was a ridiculous rehash of countless stories told before.  The obvious one being 'Dances with Wolves' 20 years ago!  And the over the top stereotypical characters?  Come on people.  Really?  Do we need to see the muscle popping, gruff shouting, steroid hopped seargeant who lives for the kill again?  Give me 'Stripes' anytime over this one!  And poor Sigourney Weaver.  A great woman who has forever been cemented in our cinematic hearts as an Alien kick assing warrior.  But here?  The scientist with a heart of gold fighting for the natives?  Pulleeeease.

I could go on and on.  It just pained me to see this story played out yet again.  Don't tell me that if the special effects (again - kudos) weren't there that anyone would give this a second look.  So why people, why award this glop with a Best Picture.  What happened to unique and engaging plot?  What happened to nuanced story lines with a message that isn't shoved in your face.  Why do Americans go for shock and awe in their movie going choice when there are infinitely more beautiful and subtle stories to be entertained by?

Ughhhhh!  Avatar.  I just don't get it. 

One of my new fav blog authors is "Moments of Perfect Clarity".  Check out her take on Avatar:
http://julochka.blogspot.com/2009/12/avatar-how-you-sucked-let-me-count-ways.html


Link


1 comment:

  1. so nice to read someone else (and a fellow Julie no less) who didn't like thus film. unobtainium...arrgh!

    ReplyDelete